Any one who knows me knows I have loved the show Glee from day one. It has had its good episodes and its bad episodes. Lets be honest the show is a myriad of plot holes story issues wrapped in pop songs that have pretty impressive production values for a high school glee club.
Unless you have been living under a rock you know about Corey Monteith passing away in July quite unexpectedly and last night was the tribute episode quite simply titled The Quarterback. I am going to go completely against popular opinion here and state the episode was awful. Three truly heartbreaking moments in the hour long show are worthy of true grief. Finn's mother, Sue Sylvester and Rachel were all heart breaking moments. The only performance worthy of true remembrance is Rachel singing "Make You Feel My Love". Knowing that Lea Michelle was not only playing Rachel singing about her love, but that she was also singing about her real life boyfriend Corey Monteith. As for the other two Finn's mother was heartbreaking and devastating as the loss of a child is one of the most significant heartbreaks one could face. The actor who plays that part showed that emotion with perfection. Sue Sylvester played by Jane Lynch was also beautifully portrayed as the antagonist bully who shows that even she can hurt by such a loss. The regret and sadness was there in a moving way.
Now on to the rest.
The only thing I can say about the rest of the cast in this episode is rather than providing a fitting tribute all they did for me was show that they are extremely poor actors. Fake crying, over the top lashing out, I am not sure there were more than a few tears between the entire remaining cast. Do not get me wrong I understand grief is displayed differently for all but what I saw was not grief. What I saw was a bunch of actors who could not summon an actual tear for not just a character but I would have assumed a real life friend. The whole episode felt forced and in my opinion not a fitting remembrance episode nor a tribute. I would have rather seen a clip show of some of Monteith's/Finn's greatest moments and performances. Sprinkled with the cast as themselves or their characters remembering him. Instead what I got was what I would consider one of the worst episodes in the shows history (next to the school shooting episode).
The songs were completely chosen to evoke sadness and all they evoked from me was frustration.
This episode truly more than any other disappointed me in a major way.
In short I think it sucked.
It may be an unpopular opinion but it is mine and now it is out there.
Just saying.
J.
No comments:
Post a Comment