Thursday, January 17, 2013

Why must we all be such needy, bitchy, queens? (How do you like that label?)

     Ok I understand how public figures in the likes of Anderson Cooper, Zachary Quinto, and Jodie Foster are vital assets to our fight for equal rights to be honest and open about the fact that they are homosexuals. Especially with the rash of young people killing themselves for fear of a life of constant retribution and unabashed hate. I mean it is wholly discouraging when we are in 2013 still FIGHTING for our RIGHTS. Rights that are clearly afforded to us by the Constitution of the United States with no addendum for who you are in love with. I digress the rights issue is another post for another time....

So there was major backlash headed up by obnoxiously loud homos about how Jodie Foster chose to come out.  From things like she did not specifically state "I'm Gay" or "I'm a Lesbian" to how she SHOULD have stated everything.

I mean come on HAVE WE FORGOTTEN how difficult is it to come out. For a good chunk of us we are not EVEN in the public eye. So before getting all up in Jodie's grill for how she came out, lets take a moment to think about how long she has been around, how difficult it is to come out, and how significantly more difficult it is to come out to the entire world.

Yes, I am not saying that things are not somewhat easier today than 5 years ago... but Jodie is from a different era, and in that era you just kept things like that to yourself.

Does that mean that it is still easy today especially when you are a celebrity? Where the fuck do we get off thinking we DESERVE to know about any celebrities sexual orientation. In the age of paparazzi and celebrities never getting a moment of privacy it seems we have all just sort of shifted to this mindset that since any man or woman chose to be in the entertainment industry we deserve to know every aspect of their private life. I mean it is vicious, look at Britney Spears, and Lindsey Lohans the latter of which is STILL not fully able to cope with a life where privacy does not exist. It takes a strong person to be able to deal with that kind of scrutiny and those people who are so extremely vocal while hiding behind aliases on the computer about how we DESERVE more information are 9 out of 10 time not the type of people who would be able to deal with that kind of lack of privacy.

So why can we not celebrate the fact that Jodie Foster as well as every other OUT AND PROUD celebrity has made the step in the ways THEY FEEL are most comfortable.

Don't think for one moment that they have it easy. Especially in a world where we have Westboro and other equally vile and hateful organizations that will do everything in their power to inflict emotional and mental harm on those in the public eye who make such a brave step.

In essence I am saying we as a gay community should NOT be bitchy, needy queens and demand that celebrities come out of the closet to our specifications. Instead lets celebrate that we now have another person on OUR side that will help us accomplish the goal of equality. REGARDLESS of how they came out. Be it on the cover of Newsweek with a "Yep I'm Gay" tagline or a simple as thanking the person they have shared a significant part of their life with.

We are all part of the same team and one day I hope that it will not even be Gay vs. Straight but one team of HUMANS. Where who we love does not matter. Yes I know that is idealistic bullshit but you know if we do not work for that then who will?

Cheers.
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment